Monday 22 May 2017

The latest part 3

As we woke the next morning in hospital , it was like we had never slept.

It was straight into the morning insulin needle before breakfast.

Amelia was an absolute trooper, like she had been the night before.

Scott came in to learn about diabetes from the point of view of Amelia.

(2 different kids and 2 different hospitals teaching).

When he arrived it was already in full swing.
Thank goodness, I had already been downstairs for my heavy dose of coffee!

The dietician spoke in length about diet and carbohydrate servings.
The amount of insulin compared to the amount of carbs she was to consume at each meal.

Amelia showed displeasure across the afternoon until she was ropeable (that is aggressive).

We all asked questions and I could quietly see her life diminishing with each "No. She cannot have that anymore. No I am sorry"

By the time everyone had left, I was left with a very upset child.
Everything she had held dear was now gone.

Every single happiness in the last 6 years,
Every single excitement, was about food.

What else does she have to look forward to?

Her home life is about food only.

No friends come to visit anymore.

No she only has US to make the amazing life now.

(this is absolutely NO criticism on anyone. It is hard keeping constant contact with Amelia).

As we got ready for bed that evening, I saw a child that's life had ended in her own eyes.
They were hollow and sad.
There was no joking or conversation to bring her back.
I myself did not know how we were all going to continue from this latest diagnosis.

Tom kept messaging through his readings to start a competition on readings, but that still did not bring a smile to our faces.

During the late afternoon, our 4 year old friend had been discharged, during our appointments,  and we had been left with a 4 week old baby.
No parent or family member.

The tiny little thing cried and coughed during the whole night.
I vaguely remember a doctor in their room speaking of a twisted oesophagus.

I begged the nurse to let me just hold it and know it was loved.

Then hours later I overheard a doctor speaking of the father on dialysis and the mother having no one else to look after the other children.

My heart shattered for this tiny baby and the love it needed.

It reminded me of when Amelia had colic and Scott would have to go to bed, to get ready for work in the morning, while she was screaming.

I would not leave her.
She was going to scream whether I had her or not.
But at least I had her.
At least she was in my arms, knowing she was loved.

The next morning the onslaught of departments started almost immediately.

They wanted to send us home, that day, because her diabetes levels were doing so well (because it was caught early).

"Settle petal" I almost screamed.
"What about the Liver levels dip-shits?".

"Oh yeah. We will get gastro in to see you" they replied.

("I don't have gastro" Amelia yelled. But apparently gastro looks after Liver).

Gastro comes in and says they are very concerned with Amelia's blood test levels especially after the fact she has already had a tumour.
They knew nothing about it.
They will monitor it.

As the next department looking after us gets ready to walk in, I yell "NUMBER 26. YOU ARE NEXT".

Amelia thinks I am hilarious.
Thank fucking god.
I am about to lose my mind with the amount of departments and information over the last few days!

As I am down at the chemist getting Amelia's new meds, to go home, a loud speaker calls "MED Room 239".

That is the tiny baby's room a-joining ours.
OMG.
That tiny little thing needs CPR.
Amelia has so much empathy she will be hysterical.

I run.
I run so fucking fast.
I am thinking of that tiny thing and Amelia's response.

Amelia is panicked and that tiny baby has 20 ICU people around it.

Eventually we get approval to go home.
I get her packed so quickly, after being assured the baby is alive and being moved to ICU.

But the liver is still a concern.

Two hours later we walk in the door, at home,  at dinner time.
Finger prick monitors and needles for dinner time.

For 2 children.

Scott and I just look at each other losing it in a psychotic laugh!

Liver will continue.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment